Police have a target

Discussions about anything in the news

Police have a target

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:47 pm

The Criminal Proceeds Recovery Act is a devilishly dangerous piece of legislation. It empowers police to seize and sell a person's property on the mere *suspicion* that it might be the proceeds of crime. No conviction by the courts is required... in fact they don't even have to charge someone with a crime in order to seize money and property under this act.

That appears to me to be an affront to justice.

Especially when I read in this story that the "police had set a target of using the Criminal Proceeds Recovery Act to seize $500 million in cash and assets by 2021"

If they can't legitimately reach that target, will they just go around confiscating stuff to make sure they do?

I do not trust this legislation or those who are empowered by it... how about you?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Police have a target

Postby phill » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:02 pm

well for a start the die cast "pistol"is not going to fool many
the jointing and finish is what i would expect from a 50's-70's cheap childs toy gun
no real pistol looks remotely like that .. in finish or detail

the 'item' lying in the bag has very cleverly been photographed to not look like the air rifle it is
they did well but the front screw mount indents common to most air rifles and the break barrel hidden in shade just forward of the scope tell the story
to be fair i do like the way they have woven the scope eyepiece covers around the trigger to make it look a bit more sinister

if this is indicative of the evidence they need to justify these types of actions
eww crap
we are in deep doodoo's

sadly its also what i would expect from the current crop of criminals in blue
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby j_sheley » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:43 am

From what I read in “Criminal Proceeds Recovery Act” the police may sell private property without a conviction. So the state wants to continually refill the treasury with proceeds from confiscation of private property?
Gee. Now you know the true reasons the demagogue vermin that infest Wellington worked so hard to eliminate semi-automatic weapons in New Zealand.
j_sheley

Postby aardvark_admin » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:17 am

Not just without a conviction... but even if there are no charges laid, they can still seize and sell property on a "reasonable suspicion". That's *very* dangerous.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Malcolm » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:37 am

John Oliver did a segment on Civil Asset Forfeiture in the US and while it isn't exactly the same as here it does show how incredibly dodgy the whole process can be.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kEpZWGgJks
Yes it is a legitimate tool for fighting organised crime but it really does need very strict controls over how it is used and where the seized money/goods go.
Malcolm

Return to General News Discussion