I never thought it would be this bad

Discussions about anything in the news

I never thought it would be this bad

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed May 04, 2022 7:42 pm

A while back our council SWDC decided to run a promotion to revitalise the business sector.

They explained the concept and implementation of this promotion to a meeting of councilors and as someone who's been involved in marketing (by necessity rather than desire) for over half a century I immediately realised it was a very poorly conceived and implemented concept.

I expressed my concerns to councilors and the Mayor in a video where I explained why I thought the campaign was not going to work.

Naturally ("because it's you Bruce") my concerns were dismissed and our Mayor blindly defended council's marketing "professionals" and claimed I was a know-nothing.

The Mayor seems to have forgotten that she is employed to defend ratepayers' rights, not blindly defend staff.

Anyway, I did a quick survey of the business sector in Tokoroa and found that less than 25% of eligible businesses had enrolled in the promotion after two weeks so I further voiced my concerns. Again -- ignored and criticised for daring to raise these concerns.

Now, six weeks into the campaign I have obtained (under the OIA) actual figures for the level of public engagement (which I warned would be very low).

The South Waikato District has a population (as of 2021) of around 25,500 people.

In week 4 of the council's "Choose Local" promotion, just five of those 25,500 people entered the competition (and that included a councilor who ought not have even been entitled to enter a council-run competition).

Over the six weeks that have run so far, the average number of individuals entering the competition has been just nine per week.

Out of a population base of 25,500.

It looks very much as if I was dead right (again). I can't wait to hear the Mayor come up with some justification for claiming that the promotion is a success -- which I'm sure she will.

Is it any wonder that ratepayers get such a raw deal?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: I never thought it would be this bad

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » Thu May 05, 2022 9:13 am

On the positive side, that's damn good odds for winning for those who actually did enter the promotion! :lol:
GSVNoFixedAbode

Re: I never thought it would be this bad

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu May 05, 2022 10:25 am

GSVNoFixedAbode wrote:On the positive side, that's damn good odds for winning for those who actually did enter the promotion! :lol:

And strangely enough, rumour is that half the winners have been councilors! :o :o
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Return to General News Discussion