Where is NZ's e-sport? (17 Dec, 2018)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Where is NZ's e-sport? (17 Dec, 2018)

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:12 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2018/1217.shtml

Given that electric powered racing gokarts would not be too expensive now, why is it that I've not seen a single one on the track next to the airfield?

How long before we start to see an increasing amount of our motorsport powered by electrons?

Would electric motorsport be too "clean and clinical" to really enjoy? Or does speed and acceleration trump noise and fumes?

I am a real petrol-head from way-back but I'd love to see an e-class of gokart racing on the track next to our airfield -- if only to give us some clean air to breath on a dead-calm, stinking hot Sunday :-)
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Where is NZ's e-sport? (17 Dec, 2018)

Postby phill » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:59 am

ROTAX 125 MAX DD2 EVO ENGINE KIT
$4650.00
ROTAX 125 SENIOR MAX EVO ENGINE KIT
$3699.00
ROTAX 125 MAX DD2 EVO - BARE ENGINE
$2999.00
all aussie dollars in aussie

125 MAX DD2 EVO
RACE CLASS – international
MAX POWER– 25 kW / 34 hp at 12.000 rpm
MAX TORQUE – 22 Nm at 10.500 rpm
WEIGHT – bare engine: 16,8 kg / 37,0 lbs with complete power pack: 28,8 kg / 63,5 lbs
SPECIAL FEATURES – Chainless drive system, 2-speed gearbox, operated by shift paddle from the steering wheel, cylinder with electronically controlled exhaust valve

pretty sure we could do an electric engine with a decent battery pack and spare for way less than that
or go the large model engine size from hobby king and put 100cc - 250cc equivalents on all wheels for 4 wheel drive
even with the battery packs they would still be cheaper and lighter with no clutch and drive assembly required
plus the weight is all right down low and over all 4 wheels
sounds like a great idea
would totally tank even the best rotax setups in a 10 lap race
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiney things i have got
phill

Postby hagfish » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:13 am

There's something about the howl of a big V8 donk that stirs the blood. Even at idle, the burble from a big motor with a lumpy cam-shaft sounds great. But maybe it's just a matter of perspective.

As a kid at an airshow, I was always most impressed with the scream of jet engines. My grandfather, however, grew up in an earlier era. He much preferred the drone of a big radial piston engine. He found it much more 'soulful' than the bland blast of a jet turbine. I thought the old piston-engined warbirds sounded a bit crap, to be honest.

Maybe the next generation will grow up associating the whirr of an electric motor with fun and excitement; the full-throated roar of a tortured V8 will just sound a bit crap?

For me, Formula 1 lost its glow over the years, as they continually nerfed the engines. From 3.5L V10s and V12s pulling up to 16,000rpm, all the way down to the 1.6L V6s of today, with their energy-recovery systems, hemp cam-belts, and tofu lubricants. Maybe a ton or two of batteries will make it exciting again, but it's too late for me. Might as well use autonomous AIs drive the cars - and spectate, too, while they're at it. The next generation, however, who knows? It would certainly lower the barrier to entry to the sport. Maybe - in the future - I'll be able to hear myself think on a Saturday evening, as they race their Formula E stock cars :mrgreen:
hagfish

Postby Kiwiiano » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:01 am

Be careful what you ask for Bruce, the howl of kart engines could be replaced with the drone of generators topping up. At least they would be muffled and 4-stroke.
Conversely, we could see competitors turning up with a rack of pre-charged batteries. It only take the first bright young lad giving it a go with an e-kart.... then, like the drag rail racers being flogged by stock Teslas in Ludicrous Mode, you’d have to put up with the whine of “NOT FAIR!!!”
~ Kiwiiano
“I'm right 98% of the time, so who gives a damn about the other 3%?"
Kiwiiano

Postby latewings » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:53 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VcH26zzPic

Although it's hard to know if the attraction would be the racing or the full sensory experience with the noise of exploding dinosaur juice.
latewings

Postby Stevesub1 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:37 am

Give me the noise of exploding Dino Juice any day at the race track. EV karts and race cars maybe the future but the noise is gone which is half the experience. As for my road car, the quieter the better. As for EV karts, a class will be made for them when there is enough demand. They could be fun.
Stevesub1

Postby phill » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:01 pm

Stevesub1 wrote:Give me the noise of exploding Dino Juice any day at the race track. EV karts and race cars maybe the future but the noise is gone which is half the experience. As for my road car, the quieter the better. As for EV karts, a class will be made for them when there is enough demand. They could be fun.

sad but true

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiney things i have got
phill

Postby Perry » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:57 pm

Signal-to-noise ratio has it, it seems.
To hell with climate change.
:twisted:
Perry

Postby phill » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:46 pm

not really
we can afford a few things like wings over wanaka and petrol ( ethanol ) racing
its the 7 billion doing it every day that causing the problem

it just may have to be called historic or vintage racing though

for leisure racing electric carts would be fine for me

phill

Postby Malcolm » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:39 am

phill wrote:not really
we can afford a few things like wings over wanaka and petrol ( ethanol ) racing
its the 7 billion doing it every day that causing the problem

it just may have to be called historic or vintage racing though

for leisure racing electric carts would be fine for me

I remember a few years back there was an environmental impact study done on either Nascar or Indy cars. The emissions for all the building, racing, testing the cars themselves were nothing compared to the emissions for the big trucks which actually took the teams to the events. The impact of that was nothing compared to the impact of the fans traveling to one event. The conclusion was if they want to make the racing better for the environment find a way to get fans to and from the events without driving their own cars.
Malcolm

Return to Today's column