Red tape run amok (15 Jan, 2019)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Red tape run amok (15 Jan, 2019)

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:21 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2019/0115.shtml

Are the Canadians really serious?

Do they expect people to log every flight and modification/repair to their toy planes and drones?

Why are alcohol restrictions so much tougher on toy planes than on cars, manned aircraft or anything else?

Did nobody actually do a risk analysis before getting out the big hammer?

Or are we just seeing a bunch of lazy civil servants without a clue who figured they'd save themselves a whole lot of time and effort by treating a $99 foam toy exactly the same as a $500,000 light aircraft?

How can we avoid the same kind of stupidity (driven mainly by groups like NZALPA, Airways and the media) from happening here in New Zealand?

Or does nobody care?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Red tape run amok (15 Jan, 2019)

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:57 am

As a bit of a test, I emailed Stuff.co.nz to point out that this incident took place and because a helicopter pilot was breaking the regulations, there could have been a nasty "near catastrophic collision" between his aircraft and one or more drones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwmF1MAmB3Q

I also pointed out that a worryingly high number of the accident reports on fatal aviation crashes in NZ mention breaking the 500ft minimum height rule as a factor in the crash.

Will Stuff take a balanced position and write a story questioning whether aviators are adhering to the one rule which is designed to ensure they don't collide with legally operated drones and RC models?

Place your bets!
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby joeseph » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:15 pm

Stuff? balanced?
oxymorons...
joeseph

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:19 pm

joeseph wrote:Stuff? balanced?
oxymorons...

LOL... I agree. I contacted serveral NZ news sites.. all but Stuff.co.nz responded.

'nuff said -- agenda clear.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Perry » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:49 pm

Bruce wrote: If this is the calibre of regulation-making in Canada I shudder to think what other crazy restrictions or requirements they have in other aspects of governance. Sadly, I don't think that CAA NZ has the balls to stand up to these pressures so we'll probably end up with something very similar.

A lot of NZ Statute is modelled on Canadian law, so yes, being afraid is sensible.
Perry

Return to Today's column