The poor bloody Aussies! (29 Jan, 2019)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

The poor bloody Aussies! (29 Jan, 2019)

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:20 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2019/0129.shtml

What are the chances that New Zealand's CAA will be similarly forced into changes that are driven more by politics, the media and special interest-groups than by safety or commonsense?

Despite the fact that drone registration has never prevented bad actions nor enabled bad actors to be caught, is it inevitable that our regulator (just like Australia's) will capitulate to the intense pressure placed on it by their political overlords and industry groups?

Or are the politicians here being even smarter -- by taking the responsibility from CAA (who have already stated that they don't think drone registration is worthwhile) and passing it on to the Ministry of Transport - an organisation that is far more easily manipulated by political pressure? That's exactly what seems to be happening here right now.

Do you feel sorry for the Ockers and the tough hand they've been dealt, both by mother nature and idiot politicians?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: The poor bloody Aussies! (29 Jan, 2019)

Postby Geoffm » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:36 am

I will send you a cake with a file in it...
It is a classic case of "something must be done, do something!" There is to good a chance of building empires, justifying jobs and controlling the populous to go to waste.
Geoffm

Postby Stevesub1 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:48 am

Last days in jail in your article - free lodgings, food, healthcare, dental care, heating - the list just goes on. Prisoners are treated better than some of the elderly who are in care.
Stevesub1

Postby par_annoyed » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:12 am

Sadly, there are many, many examples of this kind of 'crusade for regulation' without any true supporting evidence. It's what mankind is good at. Pollies excel at this crap - "forget the (lack of) evidence, we have a CAMPAIGN here !"
I can immediately think of pharmaceuticals, drones, climate change (by us, I'm not giving in !), Food (e.g. "oh my God, you can't eat butter!!), Elf and Safety, and there must be many others.

Sadly, I don't see anything changing. It's almost nostalgic as per -
"I replumbed my whole house, didn't have a single leak, but of course can't do that today..."
"I rewired my whole house, even passed an inspection, but of course can't do that today..."
"I built 3 kit cars, but the cost of certification today is ridiculous..."
..... etcetera ......

(and all of those are actually TRUE for me, in UK before I moved to NZ)
par_annoyed

Postby A Bradford » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:01 pm

This comment ended up far too long and is mostly on the fringes of the topic so I post it late so as to not interfere with the flow of the thread. But I felt it was still worth posting (and the title almost “required” me to reply being an Aussie), so apologies in advance.

You are quite right Bruce (as usual). Australia is doomed. I have been watching this develop for many years. Drone regulations are just part of a much larger narrative and prove that no niche is too small for scrutiny; the march through the institutions is all but complete and the postmodern ideologues have taken total control. Groups like the greens and even the vegans and many others are successfully changing the narrative with the help of the “progressive” media (it’s a perfect storm). I believe that it has now passed the tipping point and there is no stopping it. Anywhere that someone’s freedom can be infringed is fair-game.

These people are slogan-spouting morons who couldn’t pour sand out of their shoe without an instructional slogan. They’re incapable of true critical thought and their zealotry is tireless. Any discussion with an ideologue is futile — ask me how I know, (a “person” once trumped me on their qualifications consisting of master’s degrees in both Drama AND Theatre, who could beat that?) – and they are so ideologically locked inside their very average brains that no amount of fact and logic will penetrate. Ironically they conflate “progressive” with “smart.” They are dangerous beyond belief being able to rationalise any barbaric action as fair and reasonable – such as sending children off to concentration camps/gulags to die or destroying people’s lives on an accusation (the accusation being the evidence) or attacking a sixteen year old kid for smirking (smirking being a subjective opinion). Nothing is sacred (a slogan you will often see at their rallies). Bureaucracy is expanding. Power is being handed to unelected councils and commissions. Sovereignty whittles away as power is handed to the EU. Taxes are increasing, services are decreasing. Peoples overall standard of living is dropping and life spans are expected to shrink. And don’t mention the power cuts. Notably Australia’s only plastic-recycling plant closed two years ago due to high electricity prices, you would think the greens would have something to say but they’ve been dead quiet.

So, it’s all over for Australia. New Zealand is right behind (and ahead in some cases), it’s not looking good. Any pushback (e.g. Donald Trump) is met with vitriol. Things that were up until quite recently considered sacred are no longer. Fairness, liberty, loyalty, authority and sanctity are overridden by the holy grail of the moral fundamentals... empathy. Empathy allows you to kill someone righteously in the name of others you deem victimised. Smart people, shall we say technical types, like modellers, who believe in logic and reason, have trouble coming to grips with the illogical absurdity of ideologues. I did.

Congratulations on losing 16kg (definitely worth mentioning as its no mean achievement) on your ketogenic diet, more importantly I bet you feel much healthier too. Does this mean you have ditched the diet you wrote about on your blog many years ago? I have been on this diet for many years now (about 10 I’d say) and I can tell you it is the way to go, (note weight loss is nothing but a side effect and should not be a focus) and it is not a fad, there is plenty of robust research to back it up. All of the diseases of ageing are due to malfunctioning signalling between cells, no exceptions. This is caused by high blood sugar causing insulin spikes and leptin and mTor disruption which affects gene expression. Learn as much as you can. Some ketogenic diets are dangerous, not all ketogenic diets are the same, such as the high protein diets. Protein should be limited to around 50 grams per day (adjustable due to circumstances) and non-fibre carbs kept as low as possible and good fats consumed to satiate (saturated fat is difficult to oxidise so it’s hard to burn, makes sense doesn’t it). Excess protein is first converted to carbs to be burnt as fuel raising insulin and if not burned is stored as fat. This will prevent fat-burning (preventing the stored fat to be burned) which leads to low overnight blood sugar leading to gluconeogensis where bone protein (and muscle) is “stolen” to make sugar (this is how people get osteoporosis, nothing to do with calcium). Not to mention the direct damage done by glucose in the blood (called non-enzymatic glycation), there are significant signs of this on your hands. Everyone has forgotten how to burn fats as fuel; the infrastructure has been dismantled and it takes some coaxing to rebuild. Limit saturated fat except ghee and coconut oil and make sure you get fish oil (omega 3) it’s an essential nutrient. Get the right mix and you will build cells with the right mix and they won’t be too brittle (sat fats) or too weak (mono Fats) and the bi-layer membrane will transfer particles efficiently. Good luck….
A Bradford

Postby A Bradford » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:02 pm

… Part 2. The postmodernists are going after meat, damn vegans; they want everyone on grains Less meat will mean limited sources of protein especially great sources like whey protein which is going to make food very boring. Grains (i.e. carbs) are the cause of the four hundred or so autoimmune conditions and all of the diseases of ageing. Parkinson’s is only recently becoming accepted as an autoimmune condition if I remember correctly. If people stopped eating carbs one of the most insidious and expensive lifestyle diseases, type 2 diabetes, would be cured overnight but because there’s no money in it, it’s not considered a medical treatment. Note that ketogenic diets are dangerous if not done properly. This diet is “pharmaceutical grade” and should be treated as such and given due respect. I say this just in case you are still delving into this quagmire but I expect that you already know this stuff so apologies for seeming condescending. I hope you will one day write an article of your experience and help get more people on this life saving diet.

Enjoyed the column today and greatly admire your energy but your Aussie weather “bait” most certainly deserves a final retaliatory shot across the ditch especially since I have been enjoying the most beautiful weather in Melbourne since October. I grew up in Tokoroa and the two things I remember about Tokoroa weather is that summer is six weeks long, exactly and not a day longer. And I remember many very beautiful sunny mornings but by ten o’clock it would have clouded over for the rest of the day. I won’t mention the frosts or the number of times I delivered newspapers in Benalder Cr and milk in Arawa Cr in the pouring rain. I think I’ll stay in beautiful Melbourne thank you; right now I’m just about to “enjoy” my lovely hour-long commute home, its only 40 outside.
A Bradford

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:16 am

Glad you're enjoying "the lucky country"! You're right about the length of summer here -- it is exceeding short!

And yes, those bright mornings that become dull, dreary days are annoying.

Still, it's *very* cheap (by NZ standards) to live here in Tokoroa, providing you can tolerate the abominably poor local body governance :-)
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Return to Today's column