The poor bloody Aussies! (29 Jan, 2019)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

The poor bloody Aussies! (29 Jan, 2019)

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:20 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2019/0129.shtml

What are the chances that New Zealand's CAA will be similarly forced into changes that are driven more by politics, the media and special interest-groups than by safety or commonsense?

Despite the fact that drone registration has never prevented bad actions nor enabled bad actors to be caught, is it inevitable that our regulator (just like Australia's) will capitulate to the intense pressure placed on it by their political overlords and industry groups?

Or are the politicians here being even smarter -- by taking the responsibility from CAA (who have already stated that they don't think drone registration is worthwhile) and passing it on to the Ministry of Transport - an organisation that is far more easily manipulated by political pressure? That's exactly what seems to be happening here right now.

Do you feel sorry for the Ockers and the tough hand they've been dealt, both by mother nature and idiot politicians?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: The poor bloody Aussies! (29 Jan, 2019)

Postby Geoffm » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:36 am

I will send you a cake with a file in it...
It is a classic case of "something must be done, do something!" There is to good a chance of building empires, justifying jobs and controlling the populous to go to waste.
Geoffm

Postby Stevesub1 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:48 am

Last days in jail in your article - free lodgings, food, healthcare, dental care, heating - the list just goes on. Prisoners are treated better than some of the elderly who are in care.
Stevesub1

Postby par_annoyed » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:12 am

Sadly, there are many, many examples of this kind of 'crusade for regulation' without any true supporting evidence. It's what mankind is good at. Pollies excel at this crap - "forget the (lack of) evidence, we have a CAMPAIGN here !"
I can immediately think of pharmaceuticals, drones, climate change (by us, I'm not giving in !), Food (e.g. "oh my God, you can't eat butter!!), Elf and Safety, and there must be many others.

Sadly, I don't see anything changing. It's almost nostalgic as per -
"I replumbed my whole house, didn't have a single leak, but of course can't do that today..."
"I rewired my whole house, even passed an inspection, but of course can't do that today..."
"I built 3 kit cars, but the cost of certification today is ridiculous..."
..... etcetera ......

(and all of those are actually TRUE for me, in UK before I moved to NZ)
par_annoyed

Postby A Bradford » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:01 pm

Last edited by A Bradford on Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Bradford

Postby A Bradford » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:02 pm

Last edited by A Bradford on Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Bradford

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:16 am

Glad you're enjoying "the lucky country"! You're right about the length of summer here -- it is exceeding short!

And yes, those bright mornings that become dull, dreary days are annoying.

Still, it's *very* cheap (by NZ standards) to live here in Tokoroa, providing you can tolerate the abominably poor local body governance :-)
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Return to Today's column