Google me this (5 Feb, 2019)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Google me this (5 Feb, 2019)

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:34 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2019/0205.shtml

Google has become the very thing it promised not to be: evil.

The company's arrogance and contempt for users seems to grow almost daily. How long before these attitudes eventually undermine Alphabet's foundations and send it crumbling into the same oblivion that has engulfed the "once big" names such as AltaVista, Geocities and such?

"Don't be evil" was the mantra that helped Google ascend to giddy heights of success on the internet so will the fact that it has become evil send it plumeting back down?

Do you actively try to minimise your dependence on Google-provided services? Will you be contemplating such strategies in future?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Google me this (5 Feb, 2019)

Postby Hiro Protagonist » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:13 am

Hiro Protagonist

Postby par_annoyed » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:29 am

Use Firefox ? then NoScript is your friend. It does break some stuff by default, but you can enable and disable everything down to a fine degree. It blocks (up to) all Javascript, and even helps against fingerprinting/profiling (as they need Javascript)

Yeah, I block Google as much as possible.
And Facebook.
par_annoyed

Postby Kiwiiano » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:39 pm

I see your biggest problems are:
1) finding another video streaming site with options for making $$. They may be a dime a dozen but I've not come across any, not that I've tried.
2) communicating to your followers the new site without said iron fist coming down on you hard.

Good luck with those....
~ Kiwiiano
“I'm right 98% of the time, so who gives a damn about the other 3%?"
Kiwiiano

Postby hagfish » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:41 pm

I've moved away from Google Search, and from Chrome. My online 'stuff' is a mish-mash between Google and Apple (with a bit of DropBox thrown in). I've yet to come down 100% on either side, tho.

If my next laptop is a Chromebook, I'll likely go boots'n'all with Google and get an Android phone, too. The Apple ecosystem is very 'nice' - along with its pretense of privacy - but it's very spendy.

Microsoft would also like to lure me back with onedrive or onecloud or whatever it is, and Office365. They're a distant third, IMO.

Amazon could jump into the fray with an end-to-end online ecosystem. If they started making hardware (laptops, phones), I expect it would be cheap and pretty slick. At least we know they just want our money.

For now, however, I'm 100% Gmail. That's how they get me. Changing my email address would be a pain in the a♥️♥️.
hagfish

Postby roygbiv » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:21 am

hagfish wrote: For now, however, I'm 100% Gmail. That's how they get me. Changing my email address would be a pain in the a♥️♥️.

And that is the problem, it is a real pain to change your private e-mail account and so you are really stuck. But, seeing as though this is not a google owned site here goes my conspiracy theory:
The likes of google and facebook received start up funding from the likes of NSA who, had the great foresight of seeing the possibility of the internet social media take off as history has proved. So they can delve in and analyse whatever they need to - e-mail, build your social network profile and run it through their AI and perhaps their 'axe-murderer' algorithm or something equally noxious.
With that in mind my internet foot print is very minimal, I am a social media viewer, not a contributor. I use my own domain name for e-mail, but I do use Chrome, google maps etc for convenience as they are useful, am not paranoid, just cautious. But, there is no such thing as a free lunch especially when google is involved.
roygbiv

Postby Perry » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:28 am

Leaving out the possible conspiracy aspect, roygbiv has a good point - IMNSHO. I don't know why it is that so many people want to splurge almost every aspect of their lives across the Interwebz to a bunch of digital-only fiends (sorry, I really must stop dropping my Rs) who really have no interest in what someone else had for breakfast. Or worse.

One of the nastiest expressions of out times is the euphemism: to improve the user experience.

That being code speak for spy on every aspect of your life for our financial benefit.
Perry

Return to Today's column