The sweet taste of failure (8 Feb, 2019)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

The sweet taste of failure (8 Feb, 2019)

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:47 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2019/0208.shtml

How smart are Whittaker's? Their strategy (simply doing nothing but making good product at a reasonable price) has effectively knocked one of the world's largest food conglomerates off the high thrown of "king of chocolate" here in New Zealand.

But seriously -- who is in charge of planning and marketing over at Cadbury's and could they be doing a worse job?

Do you still prefer Cadbury's chocolate or are you a fan of Whittaker's?

Should other corporates take a lesson from this and subscribe to the mantra "if it works, don't fix it" -- that sure seems to have done the job for Whitaker's and a failure to follow this mantra has effectively crippled Cadbury's here in NZ.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: The sweet taste of failure (8 Feb, 2019)

Postby greven » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:12 am

I stopped buying Cadbury when they killed all but their most popular product lines
greven

Postby hagfish » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:56 am

I suppose it's all part of a corporation's Great Circle of Life:

• release an innovative product or service that people want
• improve that offering, so that you can increase your market/revenue
• grow to the point where you need serious cash, and raise money by selling shares
• buy out the old incumbent, who drove their own business into the ground trying to please their shareholders.
• now you have two masters - your customers AND your shareholders
• slowly but surely, your decisions and innovations are more about extracting value from your customers (for your shareholders), rather than adding value for your customers (from your shareholders)
• commence the frog-boiling. Try to keep the nose up as customers leave. Pre-roll ads! Palm oil! Digg 4.0! General desperate shark-jumping!
• Get bought out by a scrappy upstart.
hagfish

Postby Hiro Protagonist » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:06 am

I've been a Whittakers user for years. Cadbury tastes like crud in comparison. When we visit the E.U. and U.K., gifts of Whittakers are eagerly received. One friend connfessed she eked out her block of Whittakers by eating one square a week.
Hiro Protagonist

Postby phill » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:33 am

Whittakers for me
has been since the great palm oil failure
after reading the history of cadbury ( wiki ) the interesting thing of note is
whittakers has used cadbury's original path to success
no great advertising blitz or hype
just a continuing commitment to raising quality and not trying to manufacture to many competing lines
perhaps mondelez have not worked out that chocolate is not like iphones or cars
people seem to want the same as they grew up with .. a heretical belief to any well degreed marketing graduate

ps perhaps you might try a bar of the whittakers mint chocolate .. its very strong in flavour
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiney things i have got
phill

Postby par_annoyed » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:05 am

Ah... so that's why the 'Old Gold' range is on offer in Pak'n'Scratch.

I really like that Whittakers openly declared that they would NOT change their product or size, and that the price would likely go up (in so many words).

Being an ex-Pom, Cadbury used to be one of the premier brands,I never was a C. milk chocolate fan, but more the darker stuff.
They definitely put *something* in the Dairy Milk, rumour has it that it was juniper.
Cadbury never was as good as Fry's dark (never seen that here in NZ though ?)
Whittakers Ghana (and the peppermint) is wonderful....

I understand the Mondelez takeover was actually hostile...... so perhaps typical 'food giant' behaviour is what we are seeing - profit at all costs, and it backfires...

Oh yes - the phrase is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" Ronald Reagan I think ??
par_annoyed

Postby JonL » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:14 am

Here in Oz, Lindt chocolate in preference to Cadbury. Whitakers, if we can find it in preference to all others, although the chocolate from Aldi is pretty good. Cadbury lost it for me when they started down the palm oil trail...
JonL

Postby Kiwiiano » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:16 am

I prefer the saying “if it ain’t broke, fix it until it is.” My recent gripe was Google News. Buggered if I know what they thought they were doing but it no longer works for me. Hero to zero in one grate leap!!
~ Kiwiiano
“I'm right 98% of the time, so who gives a damn about the other 3%?"
Kiwiiano

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:15 pm

Yes, Google news is badly broken if you go to news.google.com however, if you do a regular Google search (at google.com) then click on "news" in the menu at the top, it works the way it used to. Took me a while to figure this out too.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:32 pm

I really can't help but feeling that this is an undisclosed advertorial for Cadbury's:

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/ne ... d=12207501

What do you think?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Return to Today's column