When the sun shines (14 Mar, 2019)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

When the sun shines (14 Mar, 2019)

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:03 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2019/0314.shtml

I've written about "what do we do when the cloud fails" before, but this time I'm thinking "why don't we have automated backup systems"?

Surely all good cloud-based systems ought to offer some kind of second-tier automated system that kicks in on your local machine(s) when/if the cloud itself falls over or is taken out by a DOS attack or some other kind of cyber-hit.

Isn't it a huge vulnerability to have so much of the Western world's economy now hinging on services such as the clouds operated by Google and Amazon? Doesn't that make them the perfect target for a number of "enemies"?

I wonder what the cost to Western economies would be if Google was out for even just a week.

Could it be that the first cloud-based service which does offer a fall-back local/peer-to-peer function might attract a lot of business?

Your thoughts...
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: When the sun shines (14 Mar, 2019)

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:08 am

Hmmm... just coincidence... but at around 6:30am this morning there were widespread reports that Facebook had gone down.

More cloud trouble?

Is there a bigger storm brewing perhaps?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby greven » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:07 am

Sounds like your grand plan for making the cloud more reliable is a bog standard Exchange Online Hybrid deployment
greven

How Many Eggs You Got In That Basket?

Postby Perry » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:35 am

Years ago, a business offered my company a bells and whistles all-in-one scanner, fax, printer, copier. (Not sure if it made coffee to order, too) Seemed like a great idea.

"About back-up," I says.

"Back-up?"

"Yes. We'd need a signed contract that you could have a back-up in place within 60 minutes, during daylight hours, before we'd buy such a thing."

"You whaaat?"

"You do realise that if your fancy machine malfunctioned, it would almost cripple this office?"

The rabbit-in-the-headlights response meant we didn't buy it.
Perry

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:05 am

I've always seen 'The Cloud' as simply 'Somebody else's computer'. I'm totally reliant on their fault-tolerant systems. It's when people don't understand the implications of that reliance that we have trouble.
GSVNoFixedAbode

Postby Stevesub1 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:33 am

Facebook is still down, Google is up but I don't know what affect it had on me yesterday as I was in the middle of a major update to by Google Drive, it will probably be OK. I am not sure is some emails went but will find out in due course. As for the Yahoo accounts in our household, they are next to useless now as I cannot get into my account (cannot figure out why, even the password reset does not work for me) and my wife's account is so slooooow to be unusable.

Even though I have Google Drive and Dropbox, ALL of my data is still backup up onto old fashioned external hard drives, one in my travel bag, one in my NZ house, one in my OZ house. Nothing is more than 6 or 8 months old and if I do happen to loose 6 or 8 months worth, no big deal as it is only photos that I am worried about and I never reuse camera memory cards and still have the old cards to get the originals if needed.

Still Google is a worry as that is now where all my working email accounts reside!!!! At least I do download any important attachments that are then backup up onto my hard rives.
Stevesub1

Postby phill » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:24 am

yahoo is fine for me ( > 10am today ) had no problem with it

net was off and on just after midnight last night for almost an hour ( slingshot on an ex spark huawei 630 modem )

something is afoot
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:02 pm

I wonder if we're seeing an "enemy state" flex their muscles with a few DOS attacks. Could it be a bit of a retaliation for the recent Five-Eyes policy on Huawei perhaps?

Might these just be a few warm-up shots in preparation for an all-out assault?

Only time will tell I guess.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby phill » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:08 pm

that would be silly
targeting infrastructure is not a problem
targeting you tube and * gasp* facebook will lead to a demand of xxx times the budget for net security and govt control

hmmm
vote for me .. or i will kill facebook
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby roygbiv » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:37 am

Stevesub1 wrote:
Even though I have Google Drive and Dropbox, ALL of my data is still backup up onto old fashioned external hard drives, one in my travel bag, one in my NZ house, one in my OZ house. Nothing is more than 6 or 8 months old and if I do happen to loose 6 or 8 months worth, no big deal as it is only photos that I am worried about and I never reuse camera memory cards and still have the old cards to get the originals if needed.

Still Google is a worry as that is now where all my working email accounts reside!!!! At least I do download any important attachments that are then backup up onto my hard rives.

Thats what I do too, it makes good sense and I am distrustful of sending only copies of data into the cloud. There are lots of 'backup services' to cloud which are worth looking at but if I was to store primary copies of data in the cloud I would use another cloud to store copies. For example, store files in Dropbox, have a copy in Google drive. But then what happens when the digger down the road goes through my comms cable !!
roygbiv

Return to Today's column