Geek gift time again (22 Nov, 2019)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Re: Geek gift time again (22 Nov, 2019)

Postby aardvark_admin » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:30 am

I believe there is some kind of international tax enforcement treaty or something between consenting nations but given how difficult it is to enforce patents or copyright through the Chinese courts and government one would have to wonder if they'd be fore effective at demanding taxes on behalf of a foreign nation.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Necrotic Kingdom » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:45 am

It seems that governments give more importance to tax collection than other things like copyright protection? That fits with what we already know about the powers of the IRD compared to other departments. Couldn't organise a pissup in a brewery when it comes to things like justice or saving civilisation, but put a finger on their taxes and suddenly they are wide awake and working together?
Necrotic Kingdom

Postby Perry » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:11 pm

Perry

Postby Necrotic Kingdom » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:21 am

My el-cheapo huawei phone seems to be dying. Sometimes a full charge lasts all day, some days it is flat by lunchtime. Sometimes it charges all night but only reports the battery as half full. I bought a new battery but it made no difference, so it must be something wrong in the phone itself. I was going to get myself another el-cheapo huawei, but my wife is pointing out that this will be the third phone I've bought while her moderately priced samsung is still going. She makes a good point. Is buying the cheapest phone you can find a false economy in the long term? She wants to get me a samsung A10 for Christmas.
Necrotic Kingdom

Postby phill » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:19 am

Sometimes a full charge lasts all day, some days it is flat by lunchtime. Sometimes it charges all night but only reports the battery as half full.

i get them sometimes
fixed / alleviated by
1/ cleaning the contacts with a stiff artist brush ( a tiny bit of dust / wax / grease seems to go a long way )
2/ disabling auto run programs and policing access hard
Last edited by phill on Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby aardvark_admin » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:54 am

Velcro and a power bank!

Not elegant, not thin, not stylish... but bloody effective :-)
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Necrotic Kingdom » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:30 pm

Sorry Phil, I should have said that I tried cleaning the contacts before I paid for a new battery. Also I run in ultra-power saving mode which shuts down all processes and effectively turns it into an emulation of the old brick phones. Bruce yes I am investigating the power bank option. Luckily I don't carry my personal phone at work, it sits In my locker and I check it in my breaks. So I won't need the velco, I'll just keep the powerbank in my locker. Let's just call the A10 a "forced upgrade" ;-)
Necrotic Kingdom

Previous

Return to Today's column