GoogleBank? (9 Jul, 2021)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

GoogleBank? (9 Jul, 2021)

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:18 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2021/0709.shtml

Could Google be eyeing up some of the banking industry's rich profits?

Might the giant multinational be able to pull off a heist of its own by creating an online system that will see many people able to completely bypass the banking system for many of their day-to-day cash-like transactions?

Do they have even bigger plans for the future?

Or is their new virtual debit-card concept just another one of their schemes that will disappear in a couple of year's time, leaving millions of people disappointed and frustrated -- as has happened with so many other good ideas from Google?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: GoogleBank? (9 Jul, 2021)

Postby Perry » Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:28 am

How's that line go . . .

Spending money you don't have on things you don't need to impress people you don't like?

Are today's bank fees really all that bad when set against yesteryear's corollary costs and today's convenience?

Remember they were once only open between 1000 & 1500. Now they are - in a sense - digitally open 24/7. The only thing they're really dragging their feet on is instant transactions, all day, seven days a week.

I suppose the real risk is if either the electrical grid or comms network goes down, all hell breaks loose as businesses rush to shut their doors.
Perry

Postby phill » Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:07 am

im interested to find out if they want to introduce a digital coin wallet .. and how trackable they can make it
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby psycik » Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:10 am

The only problem with google doing stuff like this is they really don't stick with things....wave, nest etc, they let go of ideas real quick
psycik

Return to Today's column