Oh no, the vaccine will kill me! (19 Jul, 2021)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Oh no, the vaccine will kill me! (19 Jul, 2021)

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:28 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2021/0719.shtml

Everyone loves a conspiracy theory, don't they?

Right now, the math says you're much safer getting the jab than weathering the effects of CV19 and that's why I've had my jab.

But what about a little further down the track? Could there been as yet unforseen side-effects to the vaccination that may be as bad or worse than the virus itself?

There are no guarantees either way but it seems to me that if you're over 65 then being vaccinated is a no-brainer.

What if you're only in your early 20's though? Would you be worried that their may be some long-term side-effects that are yet to appear, due to the vaccine's very limited amount of testing and short development time?

And what about the theory I laid down today? Will that suddenly become the new CV19 conspiracy -- reasons: dopamine :lol:
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Oh no, the vaccine will kill me! (19 Jul, 2021)

Postby Perry » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:49 am

Bruce wrote:Again however, we must acknowledge that this is a vaccine that was produced in an extraordinarily short space of time. Normally these things take many years to properly develop, test and roll out. We did it in little more than a year or so.

That cannot be denied.

Perhaps the silliest part of the vaccination 'thing' is a direct aspect of what you described?

Instead of pontificating that the vaccine is completely safe, why do they not lay of the numbers and say - more or less:

It's not 100% guaranteed, but this is you best chance of surviving the virus.

Because 'the authorities' extol the vaccine as completely safe - when it's not - they just throw fuel on the nutters' fire.

Supposedly, honesty is the best policy.

Which probably explains why the gummint does not lay out the facts and allow people to make their own risk assessment.
Perry

Postby andrew » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:29 am

"It must also be acknowledged that people have died as a result of the vaccination. According to official figures that number is around 10,000 after 377 million doses of vaccine have been administered."

Bruce that statement is not correct. The monitoring systems in place record deaths after covid vaccinations. A death after a covid vaccination does not mean the vaccination caused the death.
andrew

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:33 am

You're right Andrew... but the anti-vaxers seize on the raw number and use it as their ammo.

Of course it also leaves us wondering *why* they haven't further analysed that number to get the number of *real* deaths from vaccination :-)
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby paulw » Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:34 am

The Waikato DHB here seems in disarray as to when they might start . My wife's church has been talking to them about a vax center there but as with typical government departments they still haven't finalized anything and haven't signed the rental contract . Seems pretty much consistent with the vax rollout country wide. I see in todays Stuff that it could now be August.
paulw

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:01 pm

paulw wrote:The Waikato DHB here seems in disarray as to when they might start .

It's the same here... the sent me to the tiny settlement of Mangikino to get my vax. Apparently there was no vaccination facility here in Tokoroa, a town of 15,000 people.

Really? Seriously?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby hagfish » Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:15 pm

Any intervention has to be orders-of-magnitude safer than the default. This is part of the problem with self-driving cars. If they're 'as good as a human driver', that's still nowhere near good enough. They will need to be at least 1000x as good as a human. Likewise, a medical treatment intended to be administered across the board to otherwise-healthy people has to be at least 1000x better than the alternative. I think the Pfizer vaccine meets this test. I'll be lining up for the jabs when I'm eligible - I consider it my civic duty. The alternative is [insert UK].
hagfish

Postby phill » Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:40 pm

hagfish wrote:Any intervention has to be orders-of-magnitude safer than the default. This is part of the problem with self-driving cars. If they're 'as good as a human driver', that's still nowhere near good enough. They will need to be at least 1000x as good as a human.].

i think the problem is that 90% of drivers consider themselves in the top 20%
so convincing them that being better than 75% is still a no go
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby Perry » Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:38 pm

hagfish wrote:I think the Pfizer vaccine meets this test.

On what basis do you entertain such a notion?

And why did you single out Pfizer?

The list of big pharma covid-19 vaccine producers is long: (Source: wikipedia)
* AstraZeneca
* Pfizer–BioNTech
* Sputnik V
* Sinopharm
* Sinovac
* Janssen
* Moderna
* Convidecia
Perry

Postby Kiwiiano » Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:27 pm

aardvark_admin wrote:This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2021/0719.shtml
And what about the theory I laid down today? Will that suddenly become the new CV19 conspiracy -- reasons: dopamine :lol:
AND The end-game comes when that nascent superpower releases the next virus from their bio-weapons lab. This new virus *only

NGAAA!! Don't say that! Legions of antivaxers will have latched onto it already and will be quoting the well-known & authoritative YouTuber Bruce Simpson says it's so, so it must be true.
~ Kiwiiano
“I'm not a total idiot. Parts of me are missing!”
Kiwiiano

Next

Return to Today's column