Sorry for being old and late (21 Jul, 2021)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Sorry for being old and late (21 Jul, 2021)

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:00 pm

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2021/0721.shtml

Is the world headed down a dangerous path -- or am I simply too old, to stuck in my ways and outdated?

I prefer to think it's the former but am prepared to acknowledge that it could be the latter.

Where do you sit on this divide?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Sorry for being old and late (21 Jul, 2021)

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:09 pm

Yes, a dangerous path indeed - we've provided them with the tools to do so without ensuring there are any counterbalancing controls. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
GSVNoFixedAbode

Postby phill » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:16 pm

you have to love the way they have woven the protection of the government ( political party )and it's representatives ( totally a bad thing and leads to Hitler type governments ) with the
protection of the country and its secrets ( often but not always a bad thing )

any politician that cannot pass the standard of a rigorous in-depth investigation into their personal affairs and businesses should not be a politician in the first place ... end of
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby shadesnz » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:27 pm

It is because WE are doing nothing, in all applicable countries, that these political changes are pushing ahead, full steam.
Commentators on Gab have said that they want to take action in the USA but the consequences have become unmanagebale.
Orwell......here we come.
shadesnz

Postby hagfish » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:43 pm

NZers have - in large part - been spared a Murdoch-run media. We still have to be alert to Facebook Facts, and we still have to apply our critical faculties to anything JuCo tweets, but our media answer to only one, benevolent master; their advertisers. The commercial imperative may have degraded our media, but at least it's not gone completely clown-shoes, as in other countries. And we still have rnz.

That said, our fragile democracy is unready for the dangerous path the world is now committed to. There won't be much point fining a few journos for reporting that the wildfires have been extinguished by the mudslides. Hypocrisy gets increasingly harder as its consequences become increasingly apparent.
hagfish

Postby Perry » Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:29 pm

The Big Lie - the author calls it.
Perry

Return to Today's column