Microsoft is hijacking my computer (9 Sep, 2019)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Re: Microsoft is hijacking my computer (9 Sep, 2019)

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:49 pm

I am *FUMING* right now...

For some time now, Windows 10 has been nagging me that my "current" release will soon be unsupported and that I should update. God Knows why... because I capitulated and allowed it to do a major update just a short while ago.

Wanting to get these videos out without the hassles of repairing all the damage these major feature upgrades cause, I've told Windows "no thanks, remind me later" each time it's said "Can I install now.. please? please?"

So today I spent quite some time working on a project but took a little break to have a rest and left the computer on -- in the middle of the project.

Yes, I'd done a save just before I got up from my desk.

Now, I come back and start working on the project again and, just 1 minute into this process... Windows, without *any* warning, says "Restarting..." and goes ahead with the update.

WTF Microsoft????

Now I'm sitting here as it restarts, installs the update, reboots, reconfigures itself and so forth.

What on earth gives MS the right to interrupt my work, possibly causing me to lose edits by not properly shutting down and saving the applications I'm running?

I wish someone would take a class action suit against Microsoft -- but I'm done.

I will be installing LInux on this box as soon as the current projects are complete.

Microsoft can stick this steaming pile of excrement right back where it came from.

(as you can tell, I'm not best pleased by this turn of events).
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby phill » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:22 pm

phill wrote:you sound surprised
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby phill » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:22 pm

ok
thats probably not helping

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby phill » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:18 pm

https://www.pcworld.co.nz/article/66739 ... xonomyfeed

At least this one will have a name you can call it

phill

Postby pctek » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:30 pm

I read about it, just before the main rush to Win10 and decided hell no.
Then my son, who games, wanted a new PC so Win10.
Normally it would take an hour to install and a hour or so to tweak and remove all the rubbish.

This time it took me ages........everything I did, Win10 undid. Finally after hours and hours I got it to stop, permanently, but if he ever lets it do an update, it's all over.
I then installed Linux MInt on mine (I had win7) and haven't regretted it since, been 2 years now. Don't miss it, and happy to Be Linux forever now.
pctek

Previous

Return to Today's column