Hottest year? Not this one (16 Jan, 2020)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Hottest year? Not this one (16 Jan, 2020)

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:45 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2020/0116.shtml

Why am I sitting here almost every morning with a thick shirt on, in front of my fan yeater -- IN MID SUMMER???

Exactly why is it that this summer has been so damned cold overnight and in the mornings, when we're being told that the earth is warming at an alarming rate and we're on the verge of an uncontrolable thermal runaway situation?

Does weather trump climate or is it the other way around?

How has your summer been so far -- particularly in respect to overnight/morning temps and wind?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Hottest year? Not this one (16 Jan, 2020)

Postby Perry » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:22 am

There does seem to be a bit of semantical chicanery going on.
Seasons change; weather changes; climate changes.

One of the predictions I dimly recall was that a lot of populated, low-level islands were going to be submerged.

Anyone seen any figures for rising sea levels over the last decade (or whatever?) as used in those gloomsday predictions?

And cheer up, Bruce - if reports are to be believed, presently, they're light fires in the evening in sunny Nelson.
Perry

Postby phill » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:24 am

yeh its colder than normal
to be expected
the huge high over aussie thats normally just a winter thing and for nz drags cold air up the tassie from antarctica hasnt gone away yet
thats effecting our WEATHER .. and the rain in westland .. and the draught in aussie .. apparently the indian ocean dipole is in a strong positive phase atm
( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Ocean_Dipole )
as for sea level .. yup its going up and increasing in pace ..
i only have to walk along my local beach to see how close the road is now to the beach .. and gets closer by a meter or so every couple of years ( 1 severe storm every couple of years cuts away a meter or so .. but we never get it back again ) .. from memory its up to ~3mm a year now up from ~~1.5mm a couple of decades ago
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby Malcolm » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:44 am

Not only that but the pollution from the Australian fires has had a significant impact by blocking out a lot of the sunlight we would normally be seeing. While we might not be getting the dramatic photos of the hazy orange sun at midday like we did at the end of December it is still creating a significant amount of haze.
Malcolm

Postby hagfish » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:00 am

December/January is often fairly cold, in my experience. There's a few nice days in late December - usually on that long present-wrapping evening - but then the cold sets in for a few more weeks. Christmas Day itself is usually crap. The best weather arrives right around the time school goes back. Then late February is warm, sultry days, punctuated by afternoon thunderstorms. I don't thrive in hot, sticky weather, so January's chilly starts are much appreciated.
hagfish

Postby JonL » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:36 am

Here in West Oz, the Dec average high was 36.8 at our place, about 2C higher than last year and the highest I've seen in my 15 yrs here - with a spell of 5 days over 40. I haven't seen that before. 2 -3 days over 40 in Feb....yes. The median temp was around 37C! ... and...can we have some rain please. 345mm last year.....better than over east, but hoping for a degraded tropical cyclone to slide down the coast this time of year, as in 2017 & 2018 doesn't always work.....
JonL

Postby Perry » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:58 am

phill wrote:i only have to walk along my local beach to see how close the road is now to the beach . . and gets closer by a meter or so every couple of years.

That's happening locally, but it's coastal erosion, not rising sea levels.

If there had been a measurable sea level increase of significance, I'm surprised that there's been no media fuss about it.

Or have I missed it?
Perry

Postby phill » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:40 pm

ya musta missed it
its fairly common knowledge
and yes it is coastal erosion .... caused by ... severe winter storms ... enabled by .. a rising sea level

there yar
https://niwa.co.nz/natural-hazards/haza ... level-rise
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:30 pm

I think the residents of Kiribati have noticed the rising sea levels

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the ... /kiribati/
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Perry » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:24 pm

Bruce wrote:I think the residents of Kiribati have noticed the rising sea levels
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the ... /kiribati/

So sea levels are rising there, more than anywhere else?

That seems odd.
Perry

Next

Return to Today's column