The future of food (17 Jan, 2020)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

The future of food (17 Jan, 2020)

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:45 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2020/0117.shtml

When the inevitable transition to synthetic food is forced upon us by climate change and social/ethical pressures, how will NZ adapt its economy to cope?

Shouldn't we already be heavily engaged in mitigation strategies that would dramatically reduce our dependence on primary food exports?

How's the government's move to shift is increasingly towards a knowledge-based economy going... after all, it's been 20 years!
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: The future of food (17 Jan, 2020)

Postby Muz » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:00 am

According to this article https://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/well-good/inspire-me/118288068/want-to-be-a-woke-eater-these-are-the-foods-you-need-to-avoid there is no difference between being vegan, vegetarian or normal ...... everything being grown for human consumption appears to be bad for the environment.

I'm not sure that synthetic food will be any better. I think I'll stick to my whisky diet until a solution is found.
Muz

Postby hagfish » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:50 am

Much of our food is already 'synthetic'. Lots of people subsist on high-fructose corn syrup and frozen ready-meals. Other than Type 2 diabetes, high cholesterol, crippling depression and early death - it doesn't seem to do them any harm.

So much of the plant matter we currently grow gets fed to livestock. If we fed it directly to humans, it would go a lot further. Meanwhile farmers are growing corn to turn into bioethanol, to feed our SUVs...

If we simply priced animal protein 'appropriately' - such that all the externalities were taken into account - it would work itself out. There's no need to ban anything, or even tax anything. The market just needs to account for all of the resources consumed, and all of the pollution generated, every step of the way from farm to plate. If this means a kilo of beef mince costs the end consumer NZ$50, then so be it. This doesn't answer questions about animal cruelty or human health, but I would certainly re-examine my food choices. My freezer is stocked with venison and trout, but a bit more pressure on these invasive, introduced species would be a good thing, too. Barn-reared pork, chooks and eggs might still cost about the same, if we ignore animal welfare, and they aren't all wiped out by disease.

People around the world who currently pay a premium for grass-fed NZ beef will cheerfully pay (even) more. Those who currently pay a pittance for NZ dairy products probably ought to pay a bit more, too. As NZ gets hotter and dryer, beef-rearing farms may have to revert back to sheep, or even manuka, but the world's one-percenters will line up for NZ's 'natural' food, as long as we can produce it. As the proportion of those lucky 70 million people swings toward China, we won't even have to ship it as far.
hagfish

Postby Perry » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:59 am

Muz wrote: I think I'll stick to my whisky diet until a solution is found.

Chemically, Muz, whisky is a solution. :roll:
Perry

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:10 am

Yep, throw a couple of Berocca tablets in there and it's probably quite nutritionally balanced as well :-)
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Kiwiiano » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:33 am

Trouble is the spoilers claim that the maximum dose of whiskey is one per year!!
~ Kiwiiano
“I'm right 98% of the time, so who gives a damn about the other 3%?"
Kiwiiano

Postby Perry » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:19 pm

Kiwiiano wrote:Trouble is the spoilers claim that the maximum dose of whiskey is one per year!!

Vat?
Barrel?
Carton?
Bottle?
Glass?

To hell with the spoilers, I say. :twisted:
Perry

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:32 pm

Well I only have one bourbon a year... I just drink it *very* slowly over many sessions of about 2-3 glasses at a time.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby greven » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:23 pm

Southland has so far avoided the flood & drought cycles. As the rest of the world burns and/or floods, we might end up as one of the few areas capable of reliably producing real, high quality meat.

Economics vs environment looks much better if we switch from mass production to small scale, ultra-premium exports to the ultra-wealthy who will continue to demand real meat long after it becomes unaffordable for the rest of the world.
greven

Postby phill » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:38 pm

greven wrote:`
Economics vs environment looks much better if we switch from mass production to small scale, ultra-premium exports to the ultra-wealthy who will continue to demand real meat long after it becomes unaffordable for the rest of the world.

that should have become our target market already

same as highest quality woollen clothing / suits etc

maybe someone who schmoozes well will promote it to calahan unervation
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Next

Return to Today's column