What if isolationism is the new norm? (18 Mar, 2020)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

What if isolationism is the new norm? (18 Mar, 2020)

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:24 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2020/0318.shtml

What can we learn from the current situation?

Perhaps NZ should be better prepared to function in a self-sufficient mode?

What will be the medium-term fallout from the current pandemic?

Will the only way to repay the massive levels of debt that will be required to keep the economy going be to weather the storm of rampant inflation?

And just where do all these billions that NZ is going to have to borrow come from? Indeed, with all the world's governments having to go into debt to sustain their own economies.. where do *they* get the money from?

Time to get some chickens, turn some of the lawn into a vege patch and form a co-op with your neighbours to buy a cow? :D
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: What if isolationism is the new norm? (18 Mar, 2020)

Postby Necrotic Kingdom » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:35 am

This came up in my facebook feed this morning:
*In WW2 everyone in Great Britain was hunkered down in fear of the bombings from Germany. During that time, CS Lewis began a radio broadcast. That broadcast became the book Mere Christianity.

*Isaac Newton was 20 years old when the Bubonic plague forced people into their version of social distancing. During his year away from Cambridge he created the theory of Gravity.

*The Apostle Paul, under house arrest wrote most of the New Testament.

I’m not so sure God causes these things, but I know He won’t waste it.

We’re all restricted, plans on hold, sitting still.

What creative, life changing, world impacting ideas are sitting in side of you? Sure, we can spend this time binging Netflix, or we can spend it changing the world.

"Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful." (Heb. 10:23)

As for money, when the stockmarket grows by billions where does it come from? When the stockmarket loses billions where does it go to? Our modern economy seems to be based on a shared hallucination.
Necrotic Kingdom

Postby Malcolm » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:00 am

https://twitter.com/PearlRiverFlow/stat ... 6677088257
Something to think about, what could you get done while in isolation?
Malcolm

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:27 am

In times of apocalyptic change, people panic about petrol & who has/hasn't got an EV. Remember the humble bicycle is still one of the most efficient machines ever built! :D
GSVNoFixedAbode

Postby goosemoose » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:50 am

Nah. From the safety of my self isolation I'm going to sign up to Instawhatsit and become a influenza influencer.
goosemoose

Postby Necrotic Kingdom » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:48 am

Malcolm wrote:https://twitter.com/PearlRiverFlow/status/1238854066677088257
Go mad and kill people? Well that wasnt exactly what I had in mind, but if that's what floats your boat it wouldn't be very PC of me to criticise your personal choices...
Necrotic Kingdom

Postby Malcolm » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:43 am

Necrotic Kingdom wrote:
Malcolm wrote:https://twitter.com/PearlRiverFlow/status/1238854066677088257
Go mad and kill people? Well that wasnt exactly what I had in mind, but if that's what floats your boat it wouldn't be very PC of me to criticise your personal choices...

He was already mad. also the replies from people who don't know their history of the 80s and 90s are great.
Malcolm

Postby joeseph » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:27 pm

If I can get enough work-from-home days, I plan to complete painting the fence. [watch for storm clouds brewing & 40 days/nights of continuous rain now I've said that]
joeseph

Postby Kiwiiano » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:36 pm

aardvark_admin wrote:This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2020/0318.shtml

Time to get some chickens, turn some of the lawn into a vege patch and form a co-op with your neighbours to buy a cow? :D

Trouble is the majority, possibly vast majority, of NZ homes are on pocket hanky sections with their spouting overhanging the boundaries. Bugger all room for lawn or vege patches. Maybe a row of tomato plants in pots or sacks of spud (singular) along the sunny side. With the risk that about the time they’re ready for harvest they mysteriously disappear overnight.
Forget cows, maybe co-op chickens (our daughter has 6-8 shared with 3 neighbours but they all have reasonable amounts of available land.
~ Kiwiiano
“If I’m ever on life support, try turning if off then back on again. It might work!"
Kiwiiano

Postby mad mike » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:22 pm

Funny really as a farmer it is business as usual here i haven't seen anyone outside my immediate family for a couple of weeks planning on going shopping on friday bet half the stuff i want wont be there (no change there) apart from all the news and scaremongering its still all the same here and if I happen to catch it nothing will change apart from a snotty nose and cough.
the square peg WILL fit in the roumd hole
mad mike

Return to Today's column