Lockdown looms (25 Mar, 2020)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Lockdown looms (25 Mar, 2020)

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:55 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2020/0325.shtml

What have YOU got planned for the next four weeks of lockdown?

Are you even bothering to plan -- or will you just wing-it and take each day as it comes?

Do you have some kind of basic exercise plan in place to mitigate the effects of being holed-up for 28 days?

What sort of distractions do you have in place to preserve your sanity, once you've watched all your favourite TV shows several times over, vacuumed the curtains and surfed the entire world-wide web five times?

Are you also prepared for the possibility that you will lose friends and family in the weeks and months to come?

Fire away with your own hints and tips on how to preserve your mental and phyiscal health in these uncertain times.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Lockdown looms (25 Mar, 2020)

Postby Stevesub1 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:34 am

After being in semi retirement for so many years and full time retirement the last 3 years or so, life as normal without the travel for us. We have been in self imposed lock down for over a week now.

We try to walk most days, now living in a new house, there are no outstanding chores outside other than keeping the grounds tidy. I have a list of chores such as tax returns, cleaning up hard drives, family history stuff, sorting photos, etc to do but I am not in a hurry to do all at once and I suspect that I will not finish the list. Before the month is up.

There are the boys TV programmes that I want to watch without the missus (mainly around cars) but only got around to 2 in the last week. Same with ebooks, I have a big library of ebooks but am still reading at my normal rate.

As for travel, not happy as all my extensive travel plans for the rest of the year are on hold and I am hoping for refunds on the expensive trip later in the year. I have a Landcruiser stuck in storage in Australia for up to 12 more months, ouch goes the credit card but I was supposed to be there next month for a 3 to 4 month trip, then sell it.

We also talk to the kids and friends on a regular basis as we have to travel to see any of them.

Luckily the missus and I have both worked from home since we met 22 years ago so we don't expect to murder each other.

Keep busy everyone and stay sane and healthy.

I almost forgot that I am now commenting on AARDVARK again after a long very busy break, but I have been stalking the site most days.
Stevesub1

Postby goosemoose » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:12 am

Working remotely, as per usual so nothing will really change here. Although I fully expect to move into more of a monitor mode at work with little active stuff done. I'll use the time to catch up learning about some of the new cloud technologies and software. Also being in the wops I'm probably placed better than most for things to do, get the winter veges in, a bit of fencing and plenty of reading I reckon. I may even get stuck into some of those outstanding little electronic projects I've been putting off for months (if not years!).
goosemoose

Mack Calling

Postby Perry » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:41 pm

Like goosemoose, I live semi-rurally, so there is always plenty to do. A month will likely not be long enough.

The nagging fear I have is civil unrest. Insurrection, if you like. I.e. What troubles me the most is inequality of / unbalanced burden-bearing. I.e. Those at the (so-called) bottom of the heap are going to really feel the pain. (The payday-to-payday folks)

So far, I see no suggestion of MPs taking a pay, allowance and perks pay cut; or several million-dollars-paid bank CEOs doing the same. Or the IRD relaxing penalties, filing dates; provisional tax payments dates; or telecon or electricity suppliers offering a rate reduction. Or councils reducing Rates.

When the disparity gets too much, the NZ equivalent of Yurtle the Turtle's 'Mack' may say he's had enough!

If that happens, things could indeed get messy.

Hang in there, folks.
Perry

Postby phill » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:42 pm

Coronavirus stayed on surfaces for up to 17 days on Diamond Princess cruise, CDC says
David Oliver
USA TODAY
A new Centers for Disease Control and Prevention report indicates the strength of the novel coronavirus to live on surfaces for more than two weeks.

The CDC found traces of COVID-19 on surfaces in the cabins of both symptomatic and asymptomatic infected passengers on the Diamond Princess cruise ship – 17 days after passengers had left the cabins. Of note, the cabins had yet to be disinfected.

While the data doesn't show if transmission occurred from surfaces, the CDC report recommends exploring that further.

"Just as mosquitoes spread malaria and ticks spread lime disease, cruise ships have been spreading coronavirus," former CDC director Dr. Tom Frieden told the USA TODAY editorial board and reporters on Tuesday when asked about the report.

The report outlines the responses on board several high-profile cruise ships, including the Diamond Princess and Grand Princess. Between the ships, there were more than 800 COVID-19 cases that led to 10 deaths.
The CDC found that Diamond Princess passengers transmitted the disease before quarantine and crew infections peaked after the quarantine was implemented. And 17.9% of those identified as infected never developed symptoms, which the CDC said could partially explain the high infection rate among the ship's passengers and crew.

As for the Grand Princess: Crew members likely got infected on the ship's first voyage (Feb. 11 to 21, which sailed round-trip from San Francisco) then transmitted the disease to passengers on the second. The second trip, when the Grand Princess departed San Francisco on Feb. 21, included most of the ship's 1,111 crew and 68 passengers from the initial voyage.

Between Feb. 3 and March 13, the U.S. confirmed about 200 cases of COVID-19 from returned cruise travelers. At least 15 states have reported cases associated with cruise travel to the CDC.

Major cruise lines paused sailing operations to and from U.S. ports (and around the world) amid the ongoing crisis earlier this month.

Could this have gotten done sooner? "There was concern for the economic impact on the cruise industry that prevented that from being done," Frieden said. "There aren’t always conflicts between public health and economics but here there really was one," he added.

Princess Cruises had a health problem long before back-to-back outbreaks of the new coronavirus on the Diamond and Grand Princess ships.

Their passengers fell sick extraordinarily often. Nearly 5,000 people onboard Princess ships in the past decade have suffered from bouts of vomiting, diarrhea – or both – in numbers widespread enough that government health officials issued alerts on 26 outbreaks.

Yet Princess, with 18 ships in the world's largest cruise company, Carnival Corp., consistently earned high marks on U.S. inspections that were supposed to protect 30 million people taking cruise vacations each year.

A USA TODAY investigation found the high-profile scoring of inspections administered by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention masks how frequently ships are cited for health and sanitation violations.

Contributing: Letitia Stein, Mike Stucks and Cara Kelly

from https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/c ... 905924001/

i looked at wiki for usa today
its a middle of the road easy reading paper not given to trumpismims ( lies sensationalism and distortions )

i had to check cause if what this article says is true .. the doodoos we think we are in are no where near as deep as the doodoos we are really in
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Return to Today's column