Why China may soon be THE superpower (27 Mar, 2020)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Re: Why China may soon be THE superpower (27 Mar, 2020)

Postby Malcolm » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:44 pm

aardvark_admin wrote:Here is something I find mind-blowing:

The guy in charge of policing the lockdown has said:

"People can use their cars to get to travel to a local park for exercise, but they could not be driving across town"

Excuse me?

Surely, if you need exercise it makes no sense to drive a short distance to the *local* park. Why not just walk that short distance and get your exercise that way?

I'm having less and less confidence that key people know what they're doing!

Not everyone has their house near somewhere appropriate to walk/exercise or even let their dog exercise. Driving a short distance to somewhere appropriate was said as being allowed in the initial comms. The news conference just now when journalists asked for confirmation just resulted in a more muddled message, apparently we can, but at the same time we can't. We need to stay local and use our judgement. No real yes or no. I guess it depends on how the local cops feel.
Malcolm

Postby phill » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:41 pm

there are something in the range of 10-20 high rise accommodation blocks in auks .. all of them walking down queen st at roughly the same time creates a problem ( very rough figures but 10 is a conservative minimum )
it makes sense to allow them to drive to one of the close parks so not all end up at the same one ( eg myers park is closest to most of them ) , virtually all walking together
its simply a case of one solution does not fit all cases as the best solution
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby hagfish » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:43 pm

Malcolm wrote:
aardvark_admin wrote:Here is something I find mind-blowing:

The guy in charge of policing the lockdown has said:

"People can use their cars to get to travel to a local park for exercise, but they could not be driving across town"

Excuse me?

Surely, if you need exercise it makes no sense to drive a short distance to the *local* park. Why not just walk that short distance and get your exercise that way?

I'm having less and less confidence that key people know what they're doing!

Not everyone has their house near somewhere appropriate to walk/exercise or even let their dog exercise. Driving a short distance to somewhere appropriate was said as being allowed in the initial comms. The news conference just now when journalists asked for confirmation just resulted in a more muddled message, apparently we can, but at the same time we can't. We need to stay local and use our judgement. No real yes or no. I guess it depends on how the local cops feel.

It may be a case of 'wait and see'. If people driving to the beach/river carry on pranging into one another, I expect it will be shut down. Once again, we must rely on the wisdom and restraint of people who possess neither.

Likewise with supermarket - yes - they are 'open', but the people popping in each day for a loaf of bread and a bottle of milk aren't quite 'getting it, and probably won't until the death count hits three figures :/
hagfish

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:51 pm

hagfish wrote:Likewise with supermarket - yes - they are 'open', but the people popping in each day for a loaf of bread and a bottle of milk aren't quite 'getting it, and probably won't until the death count hits three figures :/

Yeah, I don't expect to be going back to the supermarket for at least a week... longer if I can make the milk supply here hold out beyond that.

Likewise, I know that I *could* travel to my workshop in total insularity (by walking or driving) but won't drive because an accident (however remote) would be an unreasonable burden on medical services at this time and I won't walk (although I could) because I don't want the morons out there seeing me walking longer distances (10Km round trip) and thinking it's okay for them to walk across town to a friend's place for a beer.

Sacrifice is the name of the game at this point I guess.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Necrotic Kingdom » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:58 pm

My interpretation was that you shouldn't drive anywhere that you can't walk home again afterwards if your car breaks down, because if you expect other people to come and help you then you are selfishly putting them at risk.
Necrotic Kingdom

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:09 pm

I wonder how many people will have done the right thing and then, in 4-weeks time, go to start their car only to find that the parasitic drain on the battery has flattened it due to four consecutive weeks of sitting inert?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby phill » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:32 pm

shopping trips will sort most of those
but yes no doubt some will require new batteries
mine regularly goes 4-5 weeks with no starting
only a problem if i forgot to close one of the doors properly ( door warning light .. the courtesy light is manually set to off )
thank goodness the tr7 style of wiring no longer exists ... would regularly flatten he battery overnight it had such a bad wiring harness and pop up lights ( if they were not perfectly down even if visually checked as ok they silently drained the battery )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby Perry » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:14 pm

psycik wrote:I'm hoping we'll look at ourselves a bit more in this climate and see if we can become more self sufficient, look at expanding our manufacturing again.

And - heaven forbid / greenie hell - ye olde primary [food and fibre] producer may become less of a pariah now that foreign-exchange-income-earning tourism is suspended indefinitely.
Perry

Postby phill » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:24 pm

greenies dont have a problem with farmers
just the greedy stupid ones that overstock and pollute the waterways with cow shit and chemicals cause they are to lazy and stupid to learn how to farm properly .. and everyone should have a problem with them

phill

Postby cjet » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:25 am

Superpowers are abut ideas
Learn to speak English and be feed
Superpowers are about population matching resources
Learn to read and write pictographs and have 6,000 years of continuous literature

Bruce here are firewallless books
Let your fingers do your walking
And walk at night without being a destructing role model

https://mailchi.mp/2a00e412f478/nationa ... cy-library
cjet

Previous

Return to Today's column