Good brand, bad product? (22 May, 2020)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Re: Good brand, bad product? (22 May, 2020)

Postby paulw » Sun May 24, 2020 9:59 am

Bought an F&P 10Kg front loader about 14 months ago . So far so good. Prior to that had a Simpson top loader that had lasted 15 years without problems . Prior to that had a F&P top loader that after about 6 years the whole neighborhood new you were doing the washing by the sound it make when it was filling with water. Service guy said it was normal when they have been used for a couple of years .

Apart from phones and tablets I would be reluctant to touch anything Samsung including their TVs which never rate well on the NZ Consumer reliability stats but they do rate well in the US stats. Do we get a substandard version down here??
paulw

Postby Geoffm » Sun May 24, 2020 2:09 pm

We have had a good run for F&P smartdrive washers, and same with the dryer. The model 918 F&P dishwasher on the other hand was a complete lemon, breaking within 3 weeks and it took ages for the retailer to get parts and fix it. It was also noisy. It lasted a few more years, and for the last year or 18 months it needed a tea towel stuffed into the door release handle to keep it closed as some plastic part inside had broken. I gave it away in the end to a friend who fixed it himself. The Bosch replacement in that house, and the one in our current house have been great, and much quieter.
We used to have F&P fridges, but after a poor run, now have a Sharp which has been running with no issues.
My experience of Samsung has not been great, with their phones being over priced and fragile, and seem to fail quickly. 3 months for a S7 Edge. The Huawei replacement has been as solid as a rock and much better value at half the price. My Samsung tablet has been pretty good, and lasted longer than the Apple Ipad, despite site use.
Geoffm

Postby pctek » Mon May 25, 2020 6:39 pm

After a discussion with our repairman, who recommended Miele or Bosch, we bought a Bosch Front Loader.
First ever front loader.

And it's marvellous. There is a feature where you change times, so no 3 hr washes....
It washes well, dries them more than the old top loader. Quiet. Just great all round.
And $849.
pctek

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu May 28, 2020 4:57 pm

Well, based on the recommendations of the Aardvark community, I took the old sheila down town yesterday and we bought a new Bosch front-loader.

Got a really good deal (which indicates that the "sticker price" must have *huge* margins built in and those who don't haggle are really stupid) and we're more than happy.

It's so damned quiet compared to the Samsung. It's also faster, uses a lot less water, uses less detergent and spins the clothes drier than that South Korean shite-heap that spat the dummy.

The repair guys couldn't figure out what was wrong with the Samsung so they threw a new logic board in it -- still broken. They've now taken it away to repair at their leisure and I guess if/when they get it fixed I'll flog it off for little more than the cost of the repairs to someone who enjoys playing lotto.

Thanks for the great info guys... you've made the old sheila very happy.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby phill » Thu May 28, 2020 6:11 pm

as for the uses less detergent
i use less than half the small measure they supply
still washes everything fine ( fine being still better than any of the others i have had )
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:54 pm

The Samsung washing machine finally came back from the service people and apparently there was some *BURNT* wiring in the back.

WTF Samsung?

This was a replacement for the model that set houses on fire and it still produced a fire risk?

If I'm invoiced for this repair I shall be asking questions of Samsung and I have to say, based on my rather disappointing experiences, I could never recommend this brand to anyone.

Meanwhile, the wife is in love with the new Bosch and I have to say I am still impressed by its silence and German efficiency. I just have to remember not to mention the war when standing within earshot :-)
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Today's column