NZ's security is in good hands!

Discussions about anything in the news

NZ's security is in good hands!

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:09 am

I wonder a little about our military.

Not only have their been several fiascos during the military oversight of our CV19 isolation programmes but now I see that another branch of the militiary is inadvertantly sharing a huge list of email addresses with unlrelated parties.

For safety reasons, I am on a list of parties that are notified of low-level flying activities by the RNZAF. They regularly send out emails with flight plans of activities that may see aircraft operating below the 500ft minimum altitude. These are their "RNZAF Low Level Flying Advice" notices.

The interesting thing is that they send the emails with the email addresses of all parties in the "to" field so everyone can see everyone else who's getting the advisories.

A worry?

No, I don't care at all -- but it does mean that if *any* of those parties has their computers hacked, my email address (and those of the more than 100 other recipients) will undoubtedly get added to a spam list or worse. This simply indicates that the RNZAF do not understand the basics of running a mailing list.

In 2020?

Hmmm... I think I'll go out this afternoon and stock up on basics, that second wave of CV19 caused by cock-ups in the management of isolation facilities now seems a lot more likely than it did before :-(
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: NZ's security is in good hands!

Postby Perry » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:29 pm

Don't forget the toilet paper! :roll:
Perry

Re: NZ's security is in good hands!

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:26 am

I think the RNZAF must read Aardvark because they seem to have fixed their header problem and are no longer sharing all the email addresses on the list.

However, just now I got an email with the subject line: RNZAF Low Level Flight Advice T6 Texanx3 25 Jul 20 UNCLASSIFIED

and in the body of the email was nothing but their scary warning:
The information contained in this Internet Email message is intended for the addressee only and may contain privileged information, but not necessarily the official views or opinions of the New Zealand Defence Force. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, copy or distribute this message or the information in it. If you have received this message in error, please Email or telephone the sender immediately

Can I now be in trouble for sharing the contents of an empty email due to that warning?

LOL... got to love these guys :-)
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Return to General News Discussion