Sigh... CAA... again! (30 Jul, 2020)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Sigh... CAA... again! (30 Jul, 2020)

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:29 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2020/0730.shtml

Are they serious?

Apparently so.

Who'd have thought that flying a small toy drone under the trees at a local park represents a danger to aviation. If that's the case, why do they even allow trees in parks?

So it's time to hold CAA's hand to the flame, even if it has the potential to land me in hot water.

For evil to triumph requires only that good men do nothing.

Stay tuned... there may be fireworks!
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Sigh... CAA... again! (30 Jul, 2020)

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:50 pm

Video of my non-compliant flight is up, complaints are rolling in to CAA.

Soap on a rope, toothbrush and clean PJs are packed, just waiting for the taxi with the blue and red flashing lights to roll up.
:-)
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby phill » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:53 pm

dont forget to tip the driver
they give you a free set of bracelets if your accurate
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby jo2lo » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:13 pm

There are enough PPL bodies for CAA to worry about, yet another one in NZ in the last week. Yet the CAA have time to waste chasing those dangerous RC model flyers who have the temerity to fly below 120 mtr and want to retain that right in the possible income stream that Google et al "might" one day provide. Those naughty, naughty model flyers, how dare they get in the way of the CAA and NZTA making a buck!
jo2lo

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:34 pm

It's Airshare that wants to make a buck (a JV between Airways, Callaghan Innovation and UAVNZ. It is "allegedly" set up as a safety hub but the reality is quite different and it's a poorly disguised precursor to introducing a "pay to fly" system such as that "developed" by Airways and hyped to hell and back in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuvfO_v2I4o
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:51 pm

Interesting stuff... it's looking like there's still a culture problem with CAA (such things seem horribly endemic in the civil service).

It's come to light that the most recent inspector to contact me (Doug) is, according to well-informed sources, part of the reason Glide Omarama fell apart.

Perhaps it's true when they say "CAA, we're not happy until you're not happy" :-)

https://i.stuff.co.nz/timaru-herald/new ... ector-says
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby phill » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:54 pm

looked to me like a very cosy cuddle up to the tax payers trough

i wonder who in the world of cronyism have got their pockets jangling from this effort

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:02 pm

The whole reason we have a ton of lunatic regulations descending on the hobby of flying model aircraft is almost entirely down to the fact that there's an almighty land-grab going on for the 0-400ft slice of airspace.

Until "drones" came along, this piece of airspace was of no commercial value (manned aviation was not allowed to fly below 500ft) so everyone was happy for kids, adults and geriatrics like me to fly their toy planes without issues.

Once the Amazons, Googles and other corporate giants realised that now the 0-400ft slice was extremely valuable for the purpose of commercial drone operations, they have simply bought all the politicians and regulators they need to muscle the hobby out of existence.

In the UK, kids are not legally allowed to own model aircraft -- too dangerous apparently and *everyone* must register with the government if they intend to fly their toys, even if only in their own back yard or on their own property.

In the USA they are proposing regulations that would require *all* drones and RC models to be fitted with transponders and to get permission for each flight by way of a UTM (unmanned Traffic Management) system -- which (of course) carries a monthly fee.

Suddenly, one of the world's safest hobbies and one which has been a first step on the ladder for many giants in the aviation and space industries (Neil Armstrong, Sir Frank Whittle, etc) is all but forbidden.

Why?

Because Google, Amazon and a bunch of other well-connected speculators see an opportunity to get even richer than they are.

The last laugh will be on the hobby though... because anyone who knows *anything* about this knows full well that we will never see Pizza or Amazon delivery drones filling the skies -- the economics just don't add up. What's more, by claiming that the draconian new regulations are all about "safety", they're going to find huge amounts of public kickback if they do start trying to fly delivery drones over people's heads and houses.

So much VC money is going to be flushed down the toilet in this area over the next 5 years or so -- it is clear as day.

Still, greed does tend to cloud the vision of those throwing money at this crap I guess.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby phill » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:14 pm

there was a time a few years ago i would have happily informed some web site of what i intended doing that day purely out of courtesy
sadly the regulations they are trying to enforce have caused me to just walk away from any intention of doing that
with me goes several high performance kites with 500 meter and 1000 meter 'strings' ( the good delta forms fly almost vertical to the ground point )
and now several rc planes up to 2400mm wingspan
and horror of horrors a > 1km controllable drone
i will fly them all where, when and how i wish to fly them
i will always fly with consideration and safety of others in mind
but
it wont have anything to do with current regulations
had they shown me some courtesy they would have got some back
but by trying to strong arm me they will get nothing

phill

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:40 am

nospotter.jpg
This is like shooting fish in a barrel!!!

The FAA have re-edited a video in which they used my footage without attribution (in fact they deliberately cropped out my watermark to conceal the original source of the video). They replaced my footage with some stills, one of which I have included in this post.

Firstly, the re-edit is an open acknowledgement of wrongdoing on their part (but I've had no apology or other contact). Secondly, I did offer them the free use of the footage in return for nothing more than an attribution and link to the original video from theirs. Apparently that was too much to ask and they'd rather waste US taxpayers' money having the video re-edited. Or more likely, it's simply the culture of "we dare not bend at the knee for ANYONE -- we are the FAA!".

But oh dear, the picture they have used allows be to beg the question: "Why is it that RC model fliers are required to have a spotter/observer to maintain situational awareness but people flying "real" aircraft are not?

Thank you FAA for providing me with some fantastic ammo against this stupid regulation and my battle with CAA in respect to same.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Today's column