Goodbye Libraries? (31 Jul, 2020)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Goodbye Libraries? (31 Jul, 2020)

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:06 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2020/0731.shtml

Are libraries about to become little more than a memory?

Do we even need libraries any more in the age of the internet where all information is at our fingertips via the omnipotent Google search?

Do you have fond memories of libraries as a kid?

Will the greed of book publishers see an end to even the eLibrary -- the virtual equivalent of the old physical book lending institution?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Goodbye Libraries? (31 Jul, 2020)

Postby phill » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:38 am

you can still buy buggy whips
they are a lot more expensive than they were
the average quality is probably a lot higher than what used to be the norm
but there are very few made and very few places selling them

i spent many hours in a library when i was young and until my eyesight required glasses i read avidly
now its very rare i pick up a paper book
most of my reading is electronic and i even have a few mp3 audio books

i cannot see the end of all libraries or the end of electronic books
i can see more educational; institutions using electronic text books rather than the expensive paper editions that rarely lasted more than a few years, because they need to be regularly updated which required a complete reprint and distribution .. something that electronic books can do in minutes
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby hagfish » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:25 am

The thing I particulary like about libraries in general (an my own city's library, in particular) is that it's a large, welcoming, comfortable space within the city, that is laid on for/by the citizens, and whose purpose is NOT predicated upon commerce. I can head in there, prop myself up on a comfy armchair with a magazine, next to a heater, and spend a very pleasant hour or two without the clatter of cuttlery, or any side-eye from wait staff. Libraries are public spaces - there for US, not just our money. The books are cool, too. Without the library, it's hard to know why I would ever venture into the city centre again.
hagfish

Postby JonL » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:32 pm

Have a large collection of ebooks, because of the convenience, but even more actual books..and still buy selected magazines, although more and more are closing down......
We frequent our local library often, still borrow actual books, and as many talking books to transfer to a stick to listen to in the car on the 1 1/4 hr commute - modern cars not having cd players any more.
I think libraries will be around for a while longer, although I notice it's mainly older people in ours these days.
JonL

Postby Necrotic Kingdom » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:58 pm

Ebooks are cheap? Who are you kidding? For the books I want to read the ebook version is usually more expensive than the print version! Plus I can lend the print versions to my friends. I have a book being shipped to me right now.
Necrotic Kingdom

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:06 pm

Necrotic Kingdom wrote:Ebooks are cheap? Who are you kidding? For the books I want to read the ebook version is usually more expensive than the print version! Plus I can lend the print versions to my friends. I have a book being shipped to me right now.

What torrent have you been using? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Malcolm » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:06 pm

Just imagine the sheer noise from the Tax Payers Union etc if you tried to create libraries these days.
https://twitter.com/joncstone/status/11 ... 42730?s=20
Malcolm

Postby Perry » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:28 pm

Those who do not learn from the lessons of history are condemned to repeat them.

Or something like that.
Perry

Return to Today's column